Is it possible to recycle used hearing aids? Whether they belonged to a departed family member or you chose to update your hearing aids to something fancier such as a cochlear implant, the answer is the same: your pre-owned hearing aids should be donated instead of getting rid of.
There are several organizations that acquire and circulate used hearing aids to individuals who could really use them, and there are many people who need them. Keep reading to discover how and why to donate used hearing aids.
Why It’s Worthwhile to Donate a Pre-owned Hearing Aid
First, here are some significant stats about hearing loss and hearing aids in the US:
- Of the total populace, around 14% suffer from some type of hearing loss
- Of all of the adults who have loss of hearing 91% percent are above the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some form of hearing loss
- Approximately 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually utilize hearing aids
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Fewer than 30% of people over 70 who require hearing aids have ever used them
This is very worrisome. Because neglected hearing loss has been connected to multiple health problems from a greater risk of falling to mental decline and depression. As a matter of fact, new studies come out all the time showing how important hearing is to your general health. These health issues can be eliminated and in certain cases reversed by hearing aids.
And the final compelling fact is that loss of hearing can cost the typical family $12,000 in earnings every year. But hearing aids can actually reduce that cost by as much as 50%.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 every year, it may just not be possible for them to afford a hearing aid.
Your used hearing aid can have a tremendous impact, in the overall health, quality of life and financial stability, for an individual in need who could not otherwise afford a hearing aid. It might also cost a child the ability to get into college and make their lives better because they can’t hear in school.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
Old hearing aids are recycled and distributed by lots of manufacturers and volunteer organizations. Come and see us so we can advise you on the correct recycling choice for you. Or give us a call.